It’s no secret that selling auto parts online is a lucrative business. In fact, many online retailers make a considerable amount of money selling car parts and accessories on the internet. But what are the best platforms to sell these items? And which audience is most likely to buy auto parts online? This article will answer these questions and more!
How Is The Online Auto Parts Business Doing?
The online automotive parts and accessories sales industry has exploded in growth over the past five years as brick-and-mortar retailers enter the online space. According to Statista, this trend will only continue, with the size of the online automotive aftermarket market set to nearly triple worldwide by 2027.
Given that the online shopping industry is already worth $56 billion and growing rapidly, it may be a wise investment for an automotive parts store to get involved in this market. Even though the growth for this industry is predicted to be 3% yearly through 2030, many players in the market feel unprepared. The main reasons cited are strategic lack of focus, necessary skills, and insufficient digitization resources.
No longer is the question about how big the automotive parts and accessories sales industry will become–now, it’s all centered around who’s ready to expand their business and sell auto parts online. If you want your business to stay ahead of the competition and be prepared for online sales, read through this comprehensive guide on how to become an online auto seller of auto parts.
Where Are Auto Parts Sold Online?
eBay Motors: One of the best places to sell auto parts online is eBay Motors. This eCommerce site is a division of the well-known online auction platform eBay and is specifically designed for selling vehicles and vehicle parts. In order to sell on this platform, you must be a registered member of eBay and have an account with a credit or debit card. Creating an account is quick and easy, and once you’re registered, you can start selling your automotive parts and accessories right away. You’ll need to create listings for each item you want to sell, which will include photos, descriptions, prices, and shipping information.
Amazon: Another popular place to sell auto parts online is Amazon. This eCommerce platform is one of the largest online retailers in the world, and selling on Amazon is a great way to reach a large number of potential customers. Once you’re registered, you can start listing your items for sale. You’ll need to create listings for each item you want to sell, which will include photos, descriptions, prices, and shipping information. Amazon is a great option for selling auto parts online because it’s easy to use and has a large customer base.
Walmart: Another option for selling auto parts online is Walmart. This website is one of the largest retailers in the world and offers a platform for selling items called Marketplace. You’ll need to create listings for each item you want to sell, which will include photos, descriptions, prices, and shipping information. When someone buys one of your items, you’ll receive a notification from Walmart and will be able to print out a shipping label. Walmart is a great option for selling auto parts online because it’s a well-known website with a large user base.
Your Own eCommerce Website: Another option for selling auto parts online is to create your own eCommerce website. This option gives you more control over your inventory, prices, shipping, and branding. You’ll need to find a web hosting provider and create a website using a content management system like WordPress or Shopify. Once your website is created, you can start adding products and creating listings. You’ll need to set up payment processing so you can accept credit cards and other forms of payment. Creating your eCommerce website is a great option if you want to have more control over your business.
What Are The Most Popular Auto Parts Sold Online?
The most popular types of auto parts sold online are external parts, internal parts, and wheels and suspensions.
- External Parts: External parts are the parts of a vehicle that can be seen from the outside. These parts include the body, the engine, the windows, and the tires. When selling external parts online, it’s important to take high-quality photos so potential buyers can see what they’re buying. You should also include detailed descriptions of each part, including its condition and any damage that may be present.
- Internal Parts: Internal parts are the parts of a vehicle that are located inside the body. These parts include the engine, the transmission, the brakes, and the electrical system. When selling internal parts online, it’s important to take high-quality photos so potential buyers can see what they’re buying. You should also include detailed descriptions of each part, including its condition and any damage that may be present.
- Wheels and Suspensions: Wheels and suspensions are some of the most popular auto parts sold online. These parts include the tires, the wheels, and the suspension system. When selling these parts online, it’s important to take high-quality photos so potential buyers can see what they’re buying. You should also include detailed descriptions of each part, including its condition and any damage that may be present.
- Repair and Maintenance Tools and Supplies: In addition to selling parts, you can also sell repair and maintenance tools online. These tools include things like air compressors, jacks, and wrenches. When selling these items online, it’s important to take high-quality photos so potential buyers can see what they’re buying. You should also include detailed descriptions of each tool, including its condition and any damage that may be present.
Who is Your Typical Online Buyer Of Auto Parts and Accessories?
There are a few different types of people who buy auto parts and accessories online.
- The first type is the do-it-yourselfer. These are people who like to work on their own vehicles and are looking for parts to fix or upgrade their cars.
- The second type is the collector. These are people who collect vintage or rare cars and are looking for parts to restore their vehicles.
- The third type is the racer. These are people who race cars and are looking for performance parts to improve their lap times.
- The fourth type is the auto shops and local garages. They are looking for parts to use for their customers’ vehicles.
By knowing who’s buying from you regularly, you’ll be in a better position to market your auto parts and accessories to them.
So, Does Selling Auto Parts Online Make Money?
How much can you make selling car parts online? On average, car part retailers earn between $500 and $50,000 per month. But this amount varies depending on the type of auto parts you sell, your selling platform options, and how well you market your business.
If you want to start making some extra money by selling car parts and accessories online, the best places to begin are Amazon or eBay. You’ll have a large audience of potential customers on these platforms, and they offer numerous resources to help new sellers get started.
When selling products online, it is more important to focus on the gross profit and absorption rate rather than simply the profit margin. This is because eCommerce platforms are a volume game, and selling more products allows you to take advantage of discounts and other benefits that wouldn’t be available if you were operating a brick-and-mortar store. Furthermore, increasing your sales means reaching out to more potential customers.
There are numerous possibilities for you to provide exceptional customer service and keep purchasers coming back to you. Shoppers are smarter and have a wider range of alternatives than ever before, so making a favorable impression when you reach or exceed their expectations is essential.
Not only do you gain more customers, but OEM kickbacks are another perk of high-volume selling–and they can be pretty lucrative. Many aftermarket parts managers see most of their total income come from these back-end manufacturer incentives. You likely won’t be able to move enough product at your physical counter to meet the volume requirements, but it’s possible to do so online. Because of this, having an online store in addition to or instead of a physical auto parts store can be successful.
To sum up, selling auto parts and accessories online is an excellent way to make some extra cash. There are multiple platforms where you can sell items, each with different advantages. For example, we recommend Amazon, eBay, and Walmart’s marketplace to sellers wanting to reach the largest audience possible. With a bit of time and effort devoted to it, anyone can start making real money by selling auto parts and accessories online!
MyFitment can help online retailers selling on Amazon, eBay, and Walmart’s marketplace to reach the largest audience of potential customers. MyFitment is a software solution that provides auto parts sellers with product data and listing tools to quicken their pace in terms of listings popping up on these online platforms.
To learn more about MyFitment’s transformative capabilities when it comes to car parts and accessories online, visit our website today! Or you could always contact us for further inquiries!