Every year since 2000, eBay Motors has increased in revenue, and it’s now bringing in an estimated $11.7 billion as of 2021. Out of that total amount, resellers who only operate on eBay make up about $8.2 billion, while those who also have their own “.com” website or sell through Amazon account for the remaining $3.5 billion.
Auto parts businesses need to list their products on eBay Motors if they want to reach a larger audience. To make the most of this channel, it’s important to understand how eBay fitment compatibility works and how it can help your business. This guide will explain what eBay fitment data is and how you can use it to create Parts Compatibility listings on eBay Motors. You’ll learn about the benefits of using this feature, as well as a step-by-step process for uploading your fitment data.
What Is Fitment Data?
Before we get into how to use eBay’s Parts Compatibility feature, it’s important to understand what fitment data is and why it matters. Fitment data is a combination of make, model, and year (MMY) information that helps buyers find the right part for their vehicle. This data is especially important for resellers who sell auto parts because it allows them to show which parts are compatible with which vehicles.
Two industry standards define fitment data: ACES and PIES. ACES, or Aftermarket Catalog Exchange Standard, and PIES, or Product Information Exchange Standard, which are managed by the Auto Care Association. Both standards include make, model, and year information, but they differ in the way that this information is organized.
ACES uses a “vehicle schema” to define how MMY data should be structured. This schema includes information about vehicles, such as engine size and trim level, as well as which parts are compatible with each vehicle. On the other hand, PIES uses a “part schema” to organize its data. This schema includes information about parts, such as dimensions and weight, as well as which vehicles are compatible with each part.
For auto parts businesses, it’s important to have fitment data that is ACES-compliant because this is the format that eBay Motors uses for its Parts Compatibility listings. Fortunately, if you have PIES fitment data, there are tools available that can convert it into ACES format.
Now that you understand what fitment data is and why it’s important, let’s take a look at eBay’s Parts Compatibility feature.
What Is eBay Motors’ Parts Compatibility Feature?
Also known as eBay fitment, the Parts Compatibility Listings feature allows sellers to list a single item but show which vehicles it’s compatible with. This is done by adding fitment data to their listings. eBay Motors Parts Compatibility feature is a great way for auto parts businesses to increase their visibility and reach a larger audience. Not only does this feature make it easier for buyers to find the right part for their vehicle, but it also helps sellers save time and money by only having to create one listing instead of multiple listings for each vehicle’s compatibility.
You may use new component compatibility listings to create a single listing that describes a specific component and provides a comprehensive list of compatible vehicles. This eliminates the necessity to maintain numerous part lists to guarantee that all suitable automobiles are discovered in search.
Sellers can now list a comprehensive list of compatible automobiles for a single component right in one listing, saving time and money. The item page includes compatibility information, which may be searched. Increased exposure is given to the best match listings, with the option to include your 80-character title into popular search components such as brand or part number to increase visibility for your advertisement.
Retailers should keep in mind that, at first, eBay compatibility will be optional. However, listings that include vehicle data generated using the new capability may assist you in getting your relevant products in front of customers via search and prevent the usage of numerous listings for the same product, which is against eBay’s Duplicate Listing Policy.
How Do the eBay Fitment Compatibility Listings Work?
eBay’s new part compatibility feature is designed to streamline the listing process for sellers while also increasing eBay Motors’ search relevance. There are two methods for indicating compatibility with components:
- Use the search function on eBay to look for your items in their parts catalog while you’re selling them on the site. Your item will include a comprehensive list of automobiles for which it may be used. The eBay part catalog is presently accessible only in Car & Truck Parts & Accessories categories.
- If you want to list a product on eBay that isn’t already in their catalog, you’ll have to fill out the required compatibility information using tire and wheel specifications. For all other parts, you’ll just need general vehicle details.
The parts compatibility function on eBay Motors helps you manage your business better by making it easier to list items and reducing the number of listings you have. This will help buyers find what they need faster and with more confidence, leading to fewer returns or questions. And since there will be fewer listings, you’ll also pay less in fees.
If the data returned to you when you input your part type, manufacturer, or number is incorrect, utilize the manual process to enter vehicles that match the part for sale. You may use the “sell similar” or “relist” buttons in the Sell Your Item form to sell a compatible item. In this way, you may include information from your existing listing.
Simply keep in mind that your title should be eye-catching and incorporate popular search elements like the brand and part number. Remember, buyers will use this compatibility information to help them decide, so make sure the data you’re providing is correct.
The Benefits Of Using eBay’s Parts Compatibility Feature
There are several reasons why you should leverage eBay’sParts Compatibility listings for your auto parts business:
- Increased Visibility: By having your products appear in search results when buyers enter their vehicle information, you’ll be able to increase the visibility of your listings.
- Greater Efficiency: You’ll be able to save time by only having to create one listing for each product instead of creating separate listings for each compatible vehicle. eBay offers two types of fitment data- ACES and PIES formats- so businesses can generate Parts Compatibility listings that adhere to these standards. Also, eBay’s teams are constantly updating the fitment data to ensure all business listings on the site are accurate.
- Enhanced Productivity: With all of your products in one central location, you’ll be able to more easily track your inventory and manage your business. eBay’s Parts Compatibility listings employ the industry-standard ACES and PIES data structures. This also ensures that accurate information is transmitted to buyers, parts suppliers, retailers, and other stakeholders in the automobile sector thanks to the use of ACES and PIES data formats.
- Improve Part Discoverability: eBay’s Product Identifiers (ePIDs) enable purchasers to search for vehicle parts based on the make, model, and year of their automobile. This implies that buyers looking for components on eBay will be able to find them more easily, and sellers of components will benefit from increased exposure.
- Increased Revenue: eBay’s Parts Compatibility feature makes it easier for buyers to find the right parts for their cars, so businesses selling parts on eBay will be able to sell more. In addition, the “Request a Quote” button allows buyers to request quotes from multiple sellers, generating leads easily from Parts Compatibility listings. Consequently, listing products on eBay using this eCommerce platform becomes much simpler for business purposes.
- Reduced Costs: You’ll save money on listing fees by only having to create one listing for each product.
- Increased Trustworthiness: The listings on eBay’s Parts Compatibility pages are based on data from component suppliers. As a result, buyers who consult Parts Compatibility lists can be confident that they are accurate and trustworthy. The eBay Parts Compatibility feature is an excellent way for companies to get their items marketed on the eCommerce platform. eBay’s Parts Compatibility functionality is an excellent method for businesses to advertise their products online.
You can use eBay’s Parts Compatibility feature to increase your business’s visibility, generate leads and sell more parts. Plus, listings are based on trusted data sources and use industry-standard formats, so you can be confident they’re accurate. As you can see, there are many benefits to using eBay’s Parts Compatibility listings for your auto parts business. By taking advantage of this feature, you’ll be able to increase the visibility of your listings, save time, and reduce costs. So why not give it a try? You might just be surprised at how much it can help your business grow.
If you’re not already using eBay’s Parts Compatibility listings for your auto parts business, now is the time to start. Just follow the steps outlined below, and you’ll be up and running in no time.
What’s The Best Way To Upload Fitment Compatibility Data To eBay?
eBay Product IDs (ePIDs), as the name implies, are identifiers that identify specific makes, models, and years of automobiles. These are also known as Parts Compatibility Listings. They can be divided into two categories:
- Fitment ePIDs – This information is related to the specific make, model and year of the vehicle. The ePIDs list for Fitment is updated regularly by eBay. If you’re selling an item that requires compatibility with a certain car make/model/year, then you can use the most up-to-date ePID from the list to identify which vehicles it’s compatible with. In addition to the “Fitment Notes” field, there are six dropdown menus in the “ePID Fitment” section: Year (start), Year (end), Model, Make, Trim and Engine.
- Catalog ePIDs – The MPN (Manufacturer Part Number) and Brand of the product are used to categorize the catalog information, which gives information about all compatible motor parts for a certain component. Sellers may utilize this tool to find a part in eBay’s catalog based on its ePID, and those components are organized by MPN (Manufacturer Part Number) and Brand. They imply all of the known compatibility information for that component. In the Catalog ePIDs box, type a search term. When you finish your search, a drop-down menu with all of the ePIDs that you’ve discovered will appear. To begin, click “Select an Option” in the dropdown list. All of the items for your term(s) will then display. They’ll be paginated if they apply to many automobiles.
In your first step in uploading fitment compatibility data to eBay, you must first verify that your settings include the Fitment and Catalog ePIDs, as well as appropriate notes, since these are the only custom fields that will be reflected. You should also double-check that your business’s fitment settings are correct.
How To Set Up Fitment Custom Fields
The first step is to make sure that you have unique user fields for Fitment ePIDs, Catalog ePIDs, and Fitments (if you don’t already have them). To add the Fitment and Catalog ePID fields, click “+ Add Custom User Field.” Fill in product data and item specifics in the Add Custom User Field form (select from the dropdown menu). Then save your settings by clicking the bottom right corner of the website page, and a new field will be created automatically.
To display compatibility data, you’ll need to add the Fitment Notes field and follow these steps: open the Add Custom User Field form, enter the required information, and click Save Settings. After you finish all of your custom user fields, components with compatibility data will be displayed.
Adjusting Fitment Settings
To change your fitment settings, go to Settings, then click on Channels. Once on the Channel’s settings page, click on the name of an instance that you need to adjust the Fitment setting for. When you select a name, its section will expand so that you can see its corresponding settings. Scroll down until coming across either Fitment ePID Field or Catalog ePID Field setting before making edits per what is needed.
There are five settings in Fitment that you can adjust to better control how it operates on your eBay – they include:
- Fitment compatibility – This setting allows you to decide if the compatibility data will be sent to eBay and whether or not the Fitment section can appear on the single item editor page. If it’s turned ON, then both sending data and displaying sections are possible. However, if set to OFF, neither feature will be available.
- Fitment refresh – When you update or relist a listing, this option controls whether the old Fitment data should be preserved or deleted. Any previous data will be erased and replaced with fresh information if this option is enabled. If this option isn’t enabled, the old data won’t be deleted but combined with any new information that may have been added.
- Fitment ePID Field and Catalog ePID field – These settings can be found by selecting the dropdown next to ‘Fitment Shop ePID’ and ‘Catalog Shop ePID.’ The dropdown field in these settings allows you to choose which custom user fields should be linked to the Fitment Shop ePID and Catalog Shop ePID fields.
- Fitment Notes Field – You can map a custom user field to the Fitment Notes field by selecting it from the dropdown menu. To do so, click on the “fitment notes” value. This allows sellers to add notes next to their Fitment ePIDs in their auto parts listings. With a 500-character limit, this is an excellent way to place info that you think your buyers would want or need to know. The notes entered in Fitment Notes will not only apply to the specific ePIDs selected for the listing but also to any Catalog ePIDs related to them. This means that custom notes added under Fitment Notes override any generic notes already saved for cataloged items.
- Adding fitment/compatibility information to an item – Now that you’ve created the fitment fields and set the fitment settings, it’s time to start adding fitment data to products.
After you’ve completed the Fitment setup, you may add compatibility fitment data to your eBay listings. Fill out the Fitment section of the New Product or Edit Product page with your fitment information after providing item details on that page. If nothing appears when you fill in your product information, check through your listing to ensure that everything is in order.
- Fitment compatibility setting – To turn this feature on, go to Settings > Channels > eBay Options.
- eBay Site ID – select eBay Motors.
- eBay Category ID – Include the eBay Motors category ID.
How To Bulk Import eBay Fitment
When you’re dealing with a lot of fitting data, go to the Inventory Menu and pick Product Info. Next, choose Import eBay Parts Compatibility List, save the template file, fill in the compatibility information next to each ID, and upload it. Back on the Import eBay Parts Compatibility List page, select the previously-saved file once again.
myFitment is a useful tool for automobile part sellers who wish to improve their buyer experience on eBay. They may trust that myFitment ensures that their fitment data is correct and complete in the right format for each market, thanks to its automated conversion capabilities.
myFitment is a cloud-based software that automates data gathering, connects many different sources of data, and bulk data entry by uploading Excel spreadsheets. By enabling sellers of automobile parts and accessories to manage their information from one location for a variety of eCommerce platforms, it makes it easier for purchasers to find the elements they require with a list on hand, including Make, Model, and Year.
We’ve assisted hundreds of automobile part vendors in improving their fitment data for eBay, as well as Amazon, Walmart, AutoZone, and NewEgg. If you’re a vehicle component vendor and want to improve your fitment information, please get in touch with us right away!